One Fly Chub Fishing Tournament
Every year since 2012, Great Feathers hosts the One Fly Chub Fishing Tournament to benefit Maryland Trout Unlimited, clean up our Gunpowder and to mostly have a lot of fun. Every one is invited to participate in Great Feathers Fly Shop?s 6th Annual One Fly Chub Fishing Tournament. The idea is to catch as many Chubs in a two hour time limit as you possibly can and keep score in order to determine who the ultimate Gunpowder Chub Slayer is. A trophy will be presented to the most skillful chub angler. This is a fun, tongue-in-cheek tournament designed to bring together angling folk and catch up with one another. Hang out after the tournament for burgers and hot dogs! Details are below:
When: 1 - 3PM, Sunday August 20th, check-in at 12PM
Where: Gunpowder River between Phoenix Rd. and Upper Glencoe Rd.
Who: You! (and lot's of other folks)
Why: Because the river is low, the trout fishing is slow, it supports a great cause and you get a t-shirt and BBQ!
Registration Fee: $25
- Each fisherman will be paired with another angler to fish for chubs/fallfish for two hours.
- Each person keeps his own score (honor system)
- A scoreable Chub must be brought to hand, hook removed from face and returned safely.
- Fishermen can fish wherever they would like between the designated roads (see above).
- Chubs and Fallfish and Panfish are worth 1 point regardless of size. Trout and bass are worth 0 points.
- Referee's will be on hand to make sure everyone is playing fair.
- ONE FLY! If you lose your fly, you are done for the day and can cheer on fellow fishermen or head back to Great Feathers.
- This tournament is wade fishing only. No boats!
- Scores will be tallied at 3:15 at Great Feathers Fly Shop, if you aren't there your score won't count! Food, tunes, libations and award ceremony to follow.
Each participant will be given a small bag for trash pick up. A participants score will not be counted unless the bag is returned with at least two articles of trash. SPECIAL PRIZE for the individual who brings back the most trash.
Parking will be at the old PNC BANK (right up the road). Our driveway will be closed to host the post chub ceremony.
Sign in will begin at 12PM at Great Feathers Fly Shop. 14824 York Rd. Sparks, MD 21152.
T-shirts will be available for the first 25 contestants to sign up.
Please fill out the form below to reserve food, beverages and seats.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 410-472-6799
Looking forward to a good turn out!
*Friendly Reminder* This is a tongue-in-cheek competition. We are intending this to be very light-hearted but PLEASE remember we will be in a state park and state park rules will be in effect. Let’s not abuse them!